Choosing the Right Softball Apparel: A Guide for Newbies
Post Added By pitcher · 08-08-22 · Blog
When you first take up softball you probably won't know very much about the sport, or what you need to stay comfortable and safe while playing. However, with time and experience you will learn how crucial correct apparel is on the field. Even though it might seem like small details, your outfit can make a huge difference on the field. The right clothes will help you stay comfortable, keep cool in hot weather, avoid infections from scrapes and bruises, as well as prevent injuries if they are built with the right materials. With that said, here is a complete guide to picking out the right softball apparel for you:
What Kind of Apparel Does a Softball Player Need?
Softball is a game of strategy as well as strength and speed, and every player needs to be adequately prepared to participate safely and successfully. This means a full set of softball gear is necessary, including:
- A helmet: If you have ever seen a person with a softball helmet on you will know why this is mandatory for players. While not all helmets are created equal, the best ones are designed to reduce the impact from a ball on your head.
- A face mask and throat guard: You want to be protected from the ball flying towards your face. If you are new to the game and don't have a face guard yet, you will quickly understand why they are important.
- A mouth guard: This is an important accessory for beginners and seasoned players alike.
- Clothing designed for softball: Make sure you know what type of pants and shirts are recommended for softball and make sure they are not too thick. You do not want to overheat when playing.
How to Choose the Right Shoe for Softball?
There are many advantages to wearing softball cleats, but they aren't the only option. First, it is important to know what other types of footwear are available. So, if you are wondering how to choose the right shoe for softball we recommend you go through the following points to make sure you pick the best shoe for your game:
- Cleats: These are definitely the most traditional and conventional option. They are usually worn by field players because they can be used on any type of surface. While they are great for traction and grip, they can be uncomfortable if you play on synthetic fields.
- Softball shoes: These shoes are a good choice for all surfaces, but are not great for traction. If you play on a synthetic field, these can be too slippery.
- Track shoes: These are a good choice if you play on a synthetic field, but they are not a good option if you play on dirt.
- Boots: These are not common in softball, but they can be a good option if you play on a turf field.
Batting Gloves and Hand Guards
When you are on the softball field, you will probably notice that some of your teammates are wearing gloves or guards. This is because the sport can be pretty rough, and you will want to protect your hands and fingers from risky injuries. There are two basic types of gloves that you can use:
- Palm-sized batting gloves: These are the most common type of batting gloves. They are usually made out of leather, synthetic leather, or a combination of the two.
- Full-fingered gloves: These gloves provide more protection than batting gloves, but they will have a harder time catching the ball and throwing.
Batting gloves are meant to protect your hands when swinging the bat, but they can also be helpful if you are in the field and are worried about getting hurt while catching the ball. Similarly, hand guards are meant to protect your hands while batting, but they can also be used to protect your fingers while catching.
Shirts: Find What Works for You
The right shirt is extremely important when it comes to playing the sport. You need to make sure that the shirt is breathable, high-quality and comfortable (so no itchy tag please!). The last thing you want is a shirt that will get too hot and make you feel uncomfortable. You also want to make sure that the shirt you choose is not too long. Some shirts are designed to be long and full, which can get in the way while you are playing. We recommend finding a shirt that is mid-length and lightweight to stay cool while playing.